Norwegian referee: - I was wrong
Tom Henning Øvrebø talks about Luca Toni's disallowed goal against Romania.
Her er dagens tips fra ekspertene! sportogspill.no
On the stroke of half time, at 0-0 in the group C match between Italy and Romania, Luca Toni scored. But the Norwegian referee Tom Henning Øvrebø controversially disallowed the goal for offside.
- Now that we have seen the situation in slow motion, we realize that Toni was onside when the ball was passed. It was a mistake, Øvrebø admits to TV 2 Sporten in Norway.
- Which reactions have you received from UEFA?
- They have reacted on my decision, which everybody now can see was wrong. At the same time they were pleased with how we did our job in general. But it is the offside situation everybody will remember from the match between Italy and Romania.
- How was your reaction when you saw that that the linesman raised his flag? Did you have any doubts?
- No, I had a fairly good angle myself and was convinced that it was offside. So I backed up my assistant immediately and thought he was right. But this situation shows how difficult it is when things happen so quickly. I'd loved to have been able to see the situation in slow motion the split second before we made our decision.
Uefa has yet to decide whether Øvrebø and his assistants will referee any further matches in the Euro 2008.